Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Concept Development/Refinment

Concept Development and Refinement


I managed to remove cross off one of the concepts leaving me my simplistic concepts to refine and develop. This was the first one...


After making mock ups and doing some basic testing I realized that this idea however simple dosnt function to well. There is to much pressure on the top connection. It can be fixed but I think this idea would have to many problems to make of it worth it.

Mock Up...


Second Concept to develop, the flat pack stool...


This idea was one of my favorites, but again after doing some testing and creating some moch ups there were simple complications that occurred when translated into cardboard. The idea worked perfectly in all the paper trials but the extra weight/thickness of the cardboard create problems..


Once placed together the design wouldn't stay in shape unless constant pressure, however light, was enforced on top. This sketch explains...


After making a few adjustments to relieve the tention created inside the design, (in hoped to make it free standing) but no tweaks worked!! By accident, after making adjustments to one of the mock ups I took pressure off the mock up and it stood by itself, haha, but in a position I didn't fore see.....



But cutting off the corners it makes the model sit in a different position...



I didn't realize this at the time so I continued trying to get the previous idea to work by create larger gaps to try and release the tension inside...


Again the failed, haha, so I redid the cut off idea with better fitting dimensions...



This idea is still stronge but much more stable, and I can enlarge the design to allow 2 or even 4 people to fit on the chair. There are still a few problems...


This legs still want to slide out, I need to create a small change to the legs allowing them to sit in the correct position..... the battle continues!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment