Sunday, May 31, 2009

Half scale x board test.

Half scale x board test.



Now that I figured out all the cut dimensions, I wanted to make sure they actually worked on my design. So I got some of my X board and made a half scale model.

Process.

First I cut out the basic shape...


Cutting the strips off the inside to allow curving, I played with a heat gun in the workshop but I didn't have access to one at home. I found that a hair dryer works just as well....



Then I cut out the corner detail...


Thus I folded it up....


But I found that there was way to much tension in the joints. So I went back and create a few "V" cuts to relive some of the tension.....


And then I folded it up again, and alot of the uneccesary tention was gone......

Even at half scale it could support my weight with ease. I still have a few problems with the design I dislike the exposed locking system. This design works so well because its simple and thus the shape should be simple, I need to internalize the locking sytem and find a way to hide the exposed edges. I want the user to only see the outside section of the X board, keeping it smooth. The proportions and a little off as well. The shape is too square, it need to be high and the seat needs to be smaller. Forward march!!

No comments:

Post a Comment